Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -RiseUp Capital Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:53:48
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- The last Beatles song, 'Now and Then,' finally arrives after more than 40 years
- Active shooter situation in Lewiston, Maine: Police
- New US House speaker tried to help overturn the 2020 election, raising concerns about the next one
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Apple hikes price of Apple TV+, other subscription services
- Biden will not appear on the primary ballot in New Hampshire. Here's why.
- Oregon Supreme Court to decide if GOP senators who boycotted Legislature can run for reelection
- Trump's 'stop
- Who is Mike Johnson, the newly elected House speaker?
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Florida orders state universities to disband pro-Palestinian student group, saying it backs Hamas
- After backlash, Scholastic says it will stop separating diverse books at school book fairs
- Women and nonbinary Icelanders go on a 24-hour strike to protest the gender pay gap
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Australian hydrogen company outlines US expansion in New Mexico, touts research
- Fresh off a hearty Putin handshake, Orban heads into an EU summit on Ukraine
- White House wants more than $23 billion from Congress to respond to natural disasters
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Medical exceptions to abortion bans often exclude mental health conditions
Thousands of Las Vegas hotel workers fighting for new union contracts rally, block Strip traffic
Greek army destroys World War II bomb found during excavation for luxury development near Athens
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Dueling Russia and US resolutions on Israel-Hamas war fail to advance in UN
Imprisoned apostle of Mexican megachurch La Luz del Mundo charged with federal child pornography
Jeep maker Stellantis plans to invest 1.5 billion euros in Chinese EV manufacturer Leapmotor